Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Heartbeat at my Feet

I have decided for this post to diverge a bit from subject matter that I have been exploring thus far on here. However I am sure that most readers will agree that this particular topic is not entirely separate from the themes of nature and the outdoors that I have focused on. As I subtly attempted to reference with the Edith Wharton quote in the title, the topic is dogs.


A dog is a special animal. Though a breed like my pug Belle probably does not have any biological connection to a wolf, there is something wild and natural about any dog. There is nothing better than taking a dog out on an excursion and watching them explore. The emotional connection between man and dog is beyond ownership or friendship or mastery. It is unconditional love pure and simple. That love can be so deep that a dog becomes like a part of you, as if your souls have become attached.


This is belle helping me read.

The effect that a dog can have on a person's life is profound. Though we may not know it, the unconditional love that a dog can provide is beyond measure. When we feel the most alone or dejected in life, we can always turn to a dog for comfort and to help us carry onward.

I was inspired to write this post by a video that I found that shows the sort of effect that a dog can have on a person's life, and how hard it can be to watch them go. I will warn you all DO NOT WATCH unless you are ready to cry.

Last Minutes with ODEN from phos pictures on Vimeo.


If that doesn't tug on your heart I don't know what will. Thanks to Stevil at All Hail the Black Market for posting this a few days
ago.

The saddest part about a dog is that you are pretty much certain to outlive them. I remember burying my aunts beloved black lab Inkspot during a rainstorm. She couldn't even bear to come outside and help dig because she had lost one of her closest companions. With a dog, you are privileged in that you get to watch all of the best parts of a creatures life, but also cursed in that you have to bury a friend.

Sometimes the best companion we can bring with us on any sort of adventure in life stands few feet tall, is covered with hair, and will follow you wherever you go.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jake,
    First of all, Happy Birthday! This is the first time I've looked at your blog and I love it! I just read your post about dogs and it almost made me cry. Belle is adorable! Yours is a project that I could actually see you continuing to work on after this semester. It's clear that you find the topic genuinely interesting--and so do I!
    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch the video because I'm at work (shh..) and didn't want to cry, but your dog is adorable :)

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete